Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas


     December just began, but I feel like I've been in the Christmas spirit since October...that's what the advertisers want. I've fallen into their trap! It's dark down here. Companies pushed up the dates of their holiday campaigns this year because of the economy, but this doesn't really make me want to buy more presents for people (I have however had the urge to buy a lot of presents for myself lately...but that's just because I'm selfish). When I see Christmas ads starting to appear in October, I think "it's way too early for this. Let me at least get through Thanksgiving." And after seeing ads celebrating Santa and his elves and reindeer and every other Christmas icon since October, by the time November rolls around I'm sick of Santa and his fucking elves and Rudolph's deformed nose and don't want to go buy anything. I sadly have a feeling this trend will continue; we've already seen in happen with Black Friday. I think I started seeing spots advertising deals in the second week of November. Brands want to be the first to publicize their deals to grab attention away from consumers, I get it, but starting the cycle of holiday ads in October just takes away from the special creative work you can only do this time of year. Next year hopefully Santa will slow his roll and leave his sleigh in the North Pole until after Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment